Cyphotilapia frontosa photos
Location unknown frontosa
- Common Names:
- Location Collected From: Has a wide distribution in the lake. Each location has a different coloration, with some locations having 7 stripes instead of the more common 6 stripes.
- Approximate Size: Males reach a size of about 14 inches with females staying around 10 inches.
- Food: I Will eat just about anything. Mine eat large flakes, pellets, brine shrimp (frozen and live), and will eat smaller fish that they can easily catch. In the wild, this species eats Cyprichromis leptosoma.
- Water Conditions: pH between 7.8 – 9+ and a temperature between 75 and 80 degrees.
- Breeding Behavior: Mouthbrooder. Males will defend a cave and chase other fish away from their territory. My frontosa would go to an open area of the tank free from rocks and other decorations and the male would pick up a mouthful of sand and throw it at the female. He would then act like he was laying on his side in the sand and then quickly come off of the bottom of the tank and chase the female to the other side of the tank. When the female came back over to the male he would then bend his body around towards the female until his body resembled an “L” shape. After this the whole process would start over again and the next day when I would turn on the lights in the tank the female would be holding a mouthful of eggs. My 8 inch female held for about 24 days and produced 12 fry.
- Care of the Fry: Frontosa fry can eat crushed flake, baby brine shrimp, and other small foods. They are not picky about their water conditions.
- Tankmates: I have had mine in with Lipochromis parvidens, Altolamprologus compressiceps, Synodontis petricola, Chalinochromis brichardi, Julidochromis transcriptus, and Protomelas taeniolatus “Red Empress” without problems. I have seen them kept with Tropheus and Neolamprologus brichardi, and Julidochromis marlieri without problems.
===> Further Reading ===>
Read These For Your Aquatic Friends:
- Aquarium Expedia: How To Care Haplochromis sp. Flameback
- How To Choose The Best Amazon Aquarium Canister Filters? 2021
- How To Choose The Best Amazon Aquarium Internal Power Filters? 2021
👉 Species Introduction
- Paratilapia Polleni Photos
- How To Breed A Tiny Picky Fish In Your Tank: Haplochromis sp. Palisa Black Slick
- Julidochromis Transcriptus Photos
👉 Aquarium Guide
- Do I Need To Add Supplements To My Fish Tank? Recommendations For Your Saltwater Aquariums 2021
- Nannostomus Marginatus Mortenthaleri Photos
- One Of The Aggressive Fish: More About Saltwater Fish Haplochromis sp. Blue Bar
👉 Water Heating Products And Info
- Aquarium Fish and Aquarium Heating Tips For Aquarians (FAQs 2021)
- Best Aquarium Heaters 2021: Maintain Water Temperature with No Trouble
👉 Water Pump Products And Info
- How Do Magnetic Impellor Driven Pumps Function?
- Fixing Problems Of Your Aquarium Magnetic Impeller Driven Pumps (2021)
👉 Aquarium Filter And Info
- Biological Filtration & The Nitrogen Cycle In Fish Tank Setup
- Knowing The Importance Of Filtration: Mechanical, Chemical & Biological Filtration (2021)
👉 Turtle Guides
- Why Is My Turtle Not Active Nor Responding? Understanding Potential Turtle Problems FAQ-4 (2021)
- How To Set The Best Aquarium Environment For Your Freshwater Turtles FAQ-2 (2021)
- Facts You Should Know To Breed Australian Freshwater Turtles FAQ-1 (2021)
👉 Water Plants
- How To Keep Live Plants In An Aquarium?
- Looking For Live Plants? Aquatic Plant Profile Of Hygrophila Polysperma
- Aquatic Plant Profile: All About Ceratophyllum demersum “Hornwort”
👉 Fresh Water Aquarium Guides
- Learn More About The Lake Victoria Basin And The Cichlids That Live There
- Gobies & Gudgeons: Empire Gudgeon Guide
- Melanochromis Auratus As A Tankmate? Fish Profile For Aquarium
👉 Marine Aquarium Guides
- Saltwater Aquarium Equipment & Tank Setup For Beginners
- How To Make A Healthy Aquarium? Care Guidelines You Must Know For Your Saltwater Fish Tank 2021
- Here Is How To Calculate The Volume And Surface Area Of Your Aquarium
👉 Other Essential Products