Pundamilia pundamilia “Zebra Nyererei”
These photos show young adults.
- Common name: Zebra Nyererei
- Location and Lake collected from: Makobe Island and several other locations in Lake Victoria
- Approximate size:
- Food: Not picky about their food. If it looks like food mine will eat it. Mine have eaten flake, spirulina, frozen brine shrimp, with mosquito larvae being their favorite so far. I have seen others feed their Pundamilia pundamilia pellets before.
- pH: 7.4 – 8.4
- Temperature: 76 – 82 degrees.
- Breeding behavior: Mouthbrooder. I have 2 males and 3 females in the same tank and my dominate male is very aggressive towards the other male in the tank. Once the dominate male feels he like has chased the sub-dominate male enough he starts chasing the females. The females should be provided with alot of hiding places.
- Care of the fry: Fry can eat crushed flake, baby brine shrimp, and other small foods. Males start showing their adult coloration at around 1.5 inches.
- Tankmates: I have not tried them in with anything else yet.
- Tank size: I have 5 young adults in a 20 gallon tank.
- Additional notes: This fish was formerly called Haplochromis sp. Zebra Nyererei but was reclassified and described under the new genus and species name Pundamilia pundamilia by Ole Seehausen in 1998.