We created this section mainly for you Saltwater Aquarists out there, to help you understand what the correct water parameters are for your tanks, and some of our importers/exporters, that have had difficulties with diseases, brought on by keeping fish in an environment that is not stable.
Yeah, Yeah, you read a book, or heard from so and so that you should keep your water a certain way. Everyone tells a different story of what they do to their tank to keep it healthy.
One of the first things that anyone should do before purchasing fish, is to ask the dealer what their water parameters are. This will ensure less stress on the fish, therefore preventing a disease to manifest.
Also, if you are living on the East Coast, or the West Coast, you must understand that the water parameters in your oceans (Atlantic & Pacific) are much different than the water parameters will be in your aquarium. Many fish come from Africa, Hawaii, Fiji and other tropical areas with much warmer water, and lower salinity levels.
Proper Salinity Levels:
- 10.17 – 10.19 This is the salinity level that we use for our saltwater fish-only tanks.
- 10.27 This higher salinity is needed for live rock and coral in reef tanks.
- Water Temperature:
- 78 – 80 degrees fahrenheit. Temperatures below this will cause disease. If you keep getting Cryptocaryon (Ich), this is the reason.
- Proper pH level: 8.2
Freshwater aquariums are pretty easy to take care of in general, depending on the fish you decide to keep.
Water parameters for most of your common tropical fish such as livebearers, south american cichlids, goldfish, guppies etc, can be kept at the same levels.
- Temperature: 76 – 80 degrees fahrenheit, pH= Neutral to Alkaline 7.0-7.6.
If you decide to keep more difficult fishes, such as Discus, water parameters are more difficult to follow.
- Temperature: 84 – 86 fahrenheit, pH= Acid pH, 6.0-6.5
If you are keeping African Cichlids, they like a higher pH and harder water
- Temperature: 78-80 degrees fahrenheit, pH= Alkaline pH, 8.2-8.4
In freshwater aquariums, it is better to adapt your fish to the pH of your tap water, rather than to add chemicals every time you do a water change. If you are not breeding fishes, follow these guidelines. If you are breeding fishes, you must be careful to duplicate the water quality from where your fish came from.
===> Further Reading ===>
Read These For Your Aquatic Friends:
- Aquarium Species Profile: How To Care Labeotropheus Fuelleborni
- How To Choose The Best Amazon Aquarium Canister Filters? 2021
- How To Choose The Best Amazon Aquarium Overflow Power Filters? 2021
👉 Species Introduction
- Fish For Your Aquarium: Overall Profile Of Cyphotilapia Frontosa
- Freshwater Fish Guide 2021
- How To Keep Marine Fish? – Saltwater Tank Setup & Care For Beginners
👉 Aquarium Guide
- Know More About Lipochromis Parvidens: Photos And Profile You Should See
- Not Recommend As Tankmate! Profile You Should Read About Herichthys Cyanoguttatum
- Standard Aquarium Dimensions Chart (Gallons, Liters, Inches, Centimeters)
👉 Water Heating Products And Info
- Amazon Black Friday Sales: All The Best Gift Deals For Saltwater And Fresh Water Aquatic Animals 2021
- Aquarium Fish and Aquarium Heating Tips For Aquarians (FAQs 2021)
- Best Aquarium Heaters 2021: Maintain Water Temperature with No Trouble
👉 Water Pump Products And Info
- Best Aquarium Product Deals On Amazon Prime Day For Your Aquatic Friends 2021: Get The Best Bargain For The Best Quality Now!
- How Do Magnetic Impellor Driven Pumps Function?
👉 Aquarium Filter And Info
- 12 Best Aquarium Accessories & Gadgets To Get In 2021
- How To Choose The Best Filtration For Your Water Tank? 2021
👉 Turtle Guides
- Learn How To Care For Freshwater Turtles FAQ-3 (2021)
- Facts You Should Know To Breed Australian Freshwater Turtles FAQ-1 (2021)
- How To Set The Best Aquarium Environment For Your Freshwater Turtles FAQ-2 (2021)
👉 Water Plants
- Basic Knowledge About Aquatic Plant “Mondo Grass”
- Bulb Plant For Your Aquarium: Aponogeton Ulvaceus Care Guide
- Choosing Grass-like Aquatic Plant: How To Care Vallisneria Spiralis Var. Tortifolia “Corkscrew Val”
👉 Fresh Water Aquarium Guides
- Psuedotropheus Greberi Photos
- Profile Of Blue Fish: All About Psuedotropheus Socolofi
- Do You Want To Raise Beautiful Fish? Everything About Gouramis: Popular Species Among Hobbyists
👉 Marine Aquarium Guides
- Saltwater Aquarium Backup
- Saltwater Aquarium Sand
- Common Mistakes Beginners Make: Dos And Don’ts For Healthy Nature Of Your Saltwater Aquarium 2021
👉 Other Essential Products