Haplochromis sp. Tomato
Haplochromis sp. Tomato male pictured. The Female is the bottom fish in the top photo.
- Common Names: Haplochromis sp. Tomato
- Locations collected from: Kome Island
- Approximate Size: My largest male is currently about 4.5 inches.
- Food: I have not tried pellet foods with them, but they will accept flake food, brine shrimp, daphnia, and mosquito larvae.
- Water Conditions: Likes a pH between 7.5 and 8.2 and temperatures between 75 and 80 degrees.
- Breeding Behavior: Mouthbrooder. They like to have rocks to hide in. Males get aggressive towards each other and the females around spawning time. I have multiple males in the same tank without problems. I have only seen the males defend a territory around spawning time. I had a 2.5″ female drop 27 fry after about 14 days.
- Tankmates: I have not tried them in with anything else so far. Due to the chances of crossbreeding, I would not recommend more than 1 species of Victorian Cichlids per tank.