Sciaenochromis fryeri male pictured.
- Common Names: “Electric Blue”, “Electric Blue Ahli”.
- Locations collected from: Lake-wide distribution with most being collected from Likoma.
- Approximate Size: 7 – 8.5 inches.
- Food: Will eat flake food, brine shrimp, daphnia, and pellets and will hunt for small fish.
- Water Conditions: Likes a pH between 7.6 and 8.4 with temperatures between 76 and 82 degrees.
- Breeding Behavior: Mouthbrooder. Males will guard an area around spawning time but otherwise has no territory. In my experience, males will chase the females continuously around the tank. I even tried getting a different male and still got the same results. Females like to have a lot of rocks to hide in. Females have been known to spit their eggs out for no apparent reason. Adult females can produce 40 – 50 fry.
- Tankmates: Should do well with Mbuna. I’ve had them with Labidochromis caeruleus, Labidochromis chisumulae, Labidochromis sp. Hongi, Psuedotropheus aurora, Altolamprologus calvus, Altolamprologus compressiceps, Julidochromis marlieri, Haplochromis obliquidens, and Synodontis petricola without problems