Labidochromis sp. mbamba
Labidochromis sp. mbamba pictured
- Common Names: Yellow Top mbamba. This species is often confused with Labidochromis sp. hongi. mbamba is bluer in color and does not have the pronounced red/orange coloration on the head. mbamba also has black in the dorsal fin while hongi has a completely red/orange dorsal.
- Locations Collected From: Mbamba Bay particularly Mbamba Bay Island
- Approximate Size: 4 inches with females a little smaller
- Food: Have a good appetite will eat many types of food. Everything from flake food to pellet food to feeder fish.
- Water Conditions: pH from 7.5 – 8.5 and temperature from 75 – 82 degrees F.
- Breeding Behavior: Mouthbrooder. Aggressive spawner. Best to keep in good size colonies. Spawn quite readily. They produce between 20-40 per spawn and generally spawn at a fairly small size, down to about 1.5 inches.
- Tankmates: Does well with more aggressive Mbuna and Victorians.